Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Saturday 15 January 2011

Tofu, a great addition to any vegetarian diet.

Tofu is high in protein and calcium but low in fat and calories. A healthy vegetarian diet should include tofu at least twice a week. Try adding some cooked chunks to soups or salads. To cook tofu simply brush with oil and fry gently for a couple of minutes each side until it starts to colour. Tofu can be barbequed, fried, deep fried, scrambled, baked, boiled or grilled.

I find that the taste can be quite bland unless you marinate the tofu first, barbeque sauce, garlic mayonnaise, salad dressing, even some herb oil these all work well as a marinade. Just put the tofu and the sauce/marinade in a bag and leave in the fridge for a few hours before cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment