Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Saturday 8 January 2011

Is there meat hidden in your food?

It might sound like a stupid question, but there could be meat hidden in your food. Or at least products derived from meat. Look out for these ingredients on food labels.

Carmine. Carmine is derived from ground up insect shells, carmine can be found in some yoghurts, coloured pasta, bottled juices and sweets to name just a few products.

Calcium stearate. Calcium stearate is derived from cows and pigs. It can be found in vanilla, garlic salt and some salad dressing mixes.

Isinglass. Isinglass is a type of gelatine from the air bladder of fish. Sometimes used in wine production.

Myristic acid. Myristic acid is derived from animal fats and found in chocolate and ice cream.

These are just a small example of hidden meat products, always look for a vegetarian or vegan friendly sign on any food you buy, even if it seems impossible that it should contain meat. You just never know what food manufacturers are putting in things.

No comments:

Post a Comment