Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Wednesday 5 January 2011

How to make perfect French onion soup.

Nothing warms you up faster on a cold winter's day that a steaming hot bowl of French onion soup. This isn't a quick fix soup, the rich, golden colour can only be obtained by slowly cooking the onions until they caramelise. It is well worth the wait, trust me.



Ingredients.

1 lb large white onions.
2 oz butter.
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil.
2 pints of vegetable stock.
1 clove of crushed garlic.
2 tbs white flour.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Method.

Peel and thinly slice the onions. In a large heavy based pan put the butter, olive oil and the onions and leave to cook for at least thirty minutes. Add the garlic for the final five minutes, don't add it before as it can burn easily. Stir often and when the onions are soft, sticky and a rich golden brown add the flour and stir until it has absorbed some of the oil, about 2 - 3 minutes should be fine. Add the stock, season to taste and simmer for a further 30 - 40 minutes, part cover the pan for best results.

This soup is traditionally served with toasted slices of french bread and some grated cheese, but straight forward croutons are fine. This dish can be made vegan by replacing the butter with a vegan spread, or extra olive oil. I think that extra oil works best. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment