Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Sunday 30 January 2011

Broccoli casserole.

Well, so much for healthy living. I’ve been laid low with swine flu and I have to say I can’t remember a time when I’ve ever felt worse. Food has been a low priority for days but now as I start to feel a little better I find I am in need of some serious comfort food, something light enough to not sit heavy in my over sensitive stomach but sustaining enough to help me get my strength back.

Ingredients.

2 heads of broccoli broken into small florets.
4 beaten free range eggs.
10 oz grated Cheddar cheese
¾ pint whole milk.
3 oz flour.
1tsp English mustard.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Method.

Preheat the oven to 200c. In a large pan of salted water cook the broccoli for ten minutes, drain well and then put into a deep sided casserole dish, something like a lasagne dish is perfect. In a small saucepan whisk together the milk, flour, salt and pepper, eggs and mustard. Over a low heat warm this mixture a little and then add about half of the grated cheese, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and pour over the broccoli, top with the remaining grated cheese and bake in the oven for thirty minutes or until the top is golden and crunchy. Serve with some nice crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment