Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Monday 6 December 2010

How to make chocolate truffles.

Nothing could be better than a huge pile of homemade chocolate truffles, except maybe two piles. This is another great recipe that's quick and easy to make, looks wonderful and tastes even better. These chocolate truffles make a very good homemade present, they don't keep too well, so leave it to the last minute before making them.

Ingredients.

10 oz good quality dark chocolate.
2 oz unsalted butter.
10 fl oz double cream.
4 tbs brandy or rum.
2 tbs creme fraich.

Grind up the chocolate in a food processor, or grate it on the finest blade. It should look like grains of sugar, it really does need to be that fine. Put the butter, cream and brandy or rum into a saucepan, bring this mixture up to a simmer. Take off the heat and add slowly to the chocolate with the mixer running on medium. You can do this by hand, just drizzle the mixture into the chocolate and keep stirring like crazy! It should look smooth and creamy at this stage,add the creme fraich and set aside to cool. Cover with cling film and put it in the fridge overnight. Next day simply roll small amounts of the truffle mixture into balls and coat with cocoa powder. Put the truffles into small paper cases and put back into the fridge to firm up again after handling. These truffles can also be rolled in chopped nuts, grated white chocolate, or dipped into melted chocolate. Use a cocktail stick to hold the truffle ball, dip it into melted chocolate then set it aside on some greaseproof paper until it has set before transfering it to a paper case.

You can make these chocolate truffles in advance and freeze them before defrosting them and putting them in their cases. Make up small bags to give away to friends and family or keep them all to yourself. Let me know what you think of this recipe if any of you make them. It's always nice to know that someone, somewhere is finding my blog helpful or interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment