Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Friday 31 December 2010

The best way to cook vegetables.

Getting the very best from what you eat is important. Some methods of cooking vegetables pretty much destroys any of the goodness they contain. Vitamins C and B are the ones most at risk of being destroyed by cooking. Both of these vitamins are very heat sensitive and water soluble, a double whammy when it comes to boiling.

With this in mind the very best way to cook vegetables is by microwaving them until they are almost cooked through and then steaming them right at the end. This method will ensure that not only are your veggies still a little crisp and tasty but they will have the maximum amount of vitamins too.

A different method is needed when dealing with vegetables such as carrots and tomatoes. Both are very high in the pigment lycopene, this pigment is best absorbed by the body when it is cooked. Add a little oil to the cooking water of carrots also helps with lycopene absorption. Stir fry tomatoes for a couple of minutes or use them to make a sauce for pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment