Welcome to the veg files.

As a longtime vegetarian I started this blog as a place to share tips, recipes and general knowhow on maintaining a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. When I first became a vegetarian I was pretty lost and confused about just how to make sure I and my family got the right amount of nutrition, so I hope that this blog will help anyone out there who is feeling the same way. Of course, I hope this blog is useful to the old hands out there too!

I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I know I will enjoy writing it.

For money saving tips, articles and even more recipes check out my posts on Hubpages. For online money making opportunities go here. To check out my photography go here.



Sunday 14 November 2010

How to make vegetarian pesto.

Pesto is a great tasting, versatile paste that can be spread on bread, toast or crackers. It makes a wonderful filling for jacket potatoes and if you mix it with a little extra virgin olive oil it can be used as a salad dressing. But by far the best way to use pesto is as a sauce for pasta. Cook your favourite pasta and drain it, add a handfull of cherry tomatoes cut in half, a few torn basil leaves and then stir in some pesto, return to the heat for three or four minutes then serve. Goes great with some nice hot crusty bread.

For this vegetarian pesto you will need.

100g fresh basil.Tear the leaves into smallish chunks.
4 large cloves of garlic, peeled.
90g toasted pine nuts.
Toast them in a dry pan for a few minutes.
300ml extra virgin olive oil.
100g grated vegetarian hard cheese, parmesan is perfect if you can find a veggie one, but any hard cheese will do just fine.
Whiz the whole lot up in a food mixer until it is spread able but still a little bit chunky.
This pesto will keep in a jar in the fridge for several days or you can freeze it for up to a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment